Saturday, June 22, 2019

Grandmas Personal Philosophy

We celebrated Father's Day this month which has always been difficult for me.  My parents divorced when I was in 3rd grade and my dad was absent more than present when I was growing up. He was abusive to my mom, luckily he never abused me but my mom had a nervous breakdown and never fully recovered. My parents loved me in their own way but they were both broken people and so their parenting skills were challenged. My maternal grandmother was the head of my family and pretty much raised my brother and I .  She was the most influential person in my life and the example I have always followed.  She was a RN for over 40 years, taught nursing, very active in her church and community and a wonderful lady and grandma. One year after I was married and had children she gave us all framed copies of her philosophy as Christmas gifts.  Mine is still hanging in my dining room and my oldest daughter has hers hanging in her apartment.  I recently was going through some of Grandma's papers and came across copies of her philosophy so reread it again.  She was such a special person so I wanted to share her thoughts with more people than just family which is the reason for this blog post.



















My Philosophy by Edna M. Hill




"I believe that the love of God is the greatest power under the sun. It is for every individual that will accept it. I believe that God created man in His own image; that each is a free moral agent and may worship Him in accordance with the dictates of his own conscience. I believe there is life after death and each may choose his own destiny according to his response to Jesus Christ.
I believe that the American way of life is the best in the world; that freedom and liberty are for each individual, but not without the awareness of the rights of others which demands a self-disciplined life in relationship with our duty and loyalty. I believe that everything worth while is achieved only by great effort; that every child should have an opportunity to achieve through education and training to the fullest extent of his capabilities. I believe each individual is endowed with talents and gifts, and if recognized, can be developed to attain success with enjoyment. I believe in American youth today and find most of them seeking sound teaching and striving to improve the morals of our present social order. I believe that every man has a right to work and earn his living honestly, as long as he is able to do so. I believe that faith in God is the fulfillment of our hopes and makes certain of realities we do not see. This is the rewarded answer of the future."


Amongst Grandma's papers was also a collection of encouraging sayings, poems and quotes including one from an unknown author called The Demonstration Way. "I'd rather see a lesson than hear one any day. I'd rather you would walk with me than merely show the way. The eye's a better teacher and more willing than the ear. And counsel is confusing, but example's always clear. The best of all the teachers are those who live their creeds. For to see good put in action is what everybody needs. I can soon learn to do it, if you let me see it done. I watch your hands in action, but your tongue too fast may run. And the counsel you are giving may be very fine and true. But I'd rather get my lesson by observing what you do." I learned many great lessons observing my grandma.  I miss her everyday.


Enjoy,
Bamah





















No comments:

Post a Comment