Thursday, December 31, 2015

Sausage ball recipe















A final recipe post for this year is one of our family favorites, sausage balls.  I'm not sure how long I've been making these but ever since my daughters were little girls so over 20 years. I cut the original recipe out of a magazine that was an advertisement for Jimmy Dean sausage and taped it into my main family cookbook with all our holiday traditions. I've changed it up over the years adding more vegetables, of course, and I use Blue and Gold sausage.  I buy it every year from someone selling it at church or work, freeze it and save at least 1 roll for sausage balls.  Every year for Christmas Eve snack supper, sausage balls are made, usually a day or two ahead of time and almost always when there's another family member available to help. I've done it by myself before but it's more fun having someone else helping rolling the balls out. I have made them at different times of the year, usually upon someone's request, but mostly they are a Christmas tradition.  They work great as snacks by themselves or added to spaghetti or another veggie dish.  Also they freeze beautifully. Here's the recipe


Sausage balls

2 pounds sausage
1 box baking mix
4 to 6 c shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 c onion, chopped
1/2 c celery, chopped
1/2 c sweet peppers, chopped
1/2 c eggplant, chopped
1/2 c fresh spinach, chopped
 1/2 to 1 t each garlic powder, parsley, seasoned salt, pepper

Combine all ingredients in large bowl, adding more baking mix as
needed.  Form into 1 inch balls.  Bake at 375 for 15 to 20 minutes
until golden brown.  Cool and store in refrigerator.  Can be frozen
either raw or cooked. Makes 6 dozen.

Enjoy,
Bamah




No comments:

Post a Comment