Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Easy fruit cobbler

February's second post is my easy fruit cobbler recipe. I found a recipe in one of my cookbooks several years ago for an easy peach cobbler that is more like cake and not made with pie crust.  I tried it and soon it became one of my favorite recipes.  I bought fresh peaches at the farmer's market and used them for the cobbler or just cut them up, put them in freezer bags and froze them.  Frozen fruit also works great for making the cobbler and it doesn't really need to be thawed out first, just add sugar and set aside then mix up flour, sugar, milk and spices in another bowl and pour into baking dish with melted butter, top with fruit and bake.  I started getting fresh blueberries, blackberries and cherries at the farmer's market as well so used the same recipe just substituting different fruit for the peaches or using combinations of fruit.  Black and blue cobbler with blackberries and blueberries is really good, plus peaches combined with berries is great as well. I've also thrown strawberries in with other fruit when I've needed to use them up and didn't have enough for strawberry shortcake. This recipe is so versatile which is why I love it and my family does as well.  I freeze or home can (process in water bath canner) fresh fruit that I get from the farmer's market all summer then can make cobbler whenever I want.  I've been make peach cobbler at our family reunion for several years and last year my youngest daughter wanted blackberry cobbler as well.  I processed several jars of blackberry pie filling and took it with us to Mississippi in August for the Beckman family reunion and it turned out great.  You just can't beat fresh fruit that you've preserved yourself. 
Here's the recipe:

blackberry cobbler

Easy Fruit Cobbler

8 large peaches, peeled and sliced or 2 cups of any type or combination of fruit, blackberries, blueberries, cherries or strawberries
2 c sugar, divided
1 t vanilla
1 1/2 sticks butter, melted
1 1/2 c flour
4 t baking powder
1/2 t salt
2 t cinnamon
1 t nutmeg
1 1/2 c milk

Gently toss peaches, 1 c sugar and vanilla, set aside. Melt butter and  put in 2 qt baking dish, or can melt butter in baking dish in microwave. In bowl combine flour, baking powder, salt,  spices and remaining sugar, stir in milk. Mix well. Pour evenly over
butter. DO NOT STIR. Top with fruit mixture. Bake 350 for 1 hr or until brown and dough firm.
Is best served warmed and great topped with vanilla ice cream.
Enjoy,
Bamah
Black and blue on left and peach on right







cherry cobbler

No comments:

Post a Comment