Friday, March 31, 2017

Chicken Pot Pie with Biscuits

Chicken pot pie is on the menu for this weekend so I'm sharing the recipe for March's second post.I'm trying to stay on track for 2 posts a month. I love chicken pot pie topped with biscuits so that's what I make at my house. The original recipe I started with when my girls were little was from a Hungry Jack biscuit add in a magazine and I  used canned chicken, cream of chicken soup and canned mixed vegetables.  It was good and what I made for years but now I only use fresh chicken and vegetables along with cream of chicken soup and canned biscuits.  I'm not very good at homemade biscuits so just use the canned.  The majority of the time when I make this I can do the whole thing in my big skillet.  Cook the chicken, usually breasts, with seasonings until done then cut up and set aside.  Then I cook the vegetables, whatever I have in the freezer or from fresh from the farmer's market, until tender then add in the soup, seasoning and put the chicken back in then top with biscuits and cheese and bake in oven until the biscuits are done.  Any combination of vegetables is great, must haves are green peas, fresh or frozen and broccoli but I also add onions, sweet peppers, corn, eggplant, zucchini, yellow squash, shredded cabbage, carrots, cauliflower, kale or spinach, whatever's in season.  I'm going to try it with sugar snap peas since I have some in my freezer that I got and cut up last month. A friend at church makes really good chicken pot pies with pie crust that she freezes and cooks as needed.  She's also donated these at a youth fundraiser and I've bought several which we've really enjoyed.  I haven't made mine as actual pies but like the idea of having a ready made dinner in the freezer  so will give that a try as well.
Here's the recipe:
2 to 3 chicken breasts, cooked and chopped up
cooked veggies, chicken and soup mixture
1/2 c sweet peppers, chopped
1/2 c onion, chopped
1/2 c eggplant, finely chopped
1/2 c carrots, chopped
1/2 c broccoli, chopped
1/2 c corn
1/2 c each zucchini, yellow squash, cauliflower, chopped
can also add shredded cabbage, kale or spinach
1/2 to 1 c frozen green peas
2 cans cream of chicken soup
1 can large or 2 cans medium biscuits
1/2 to 1 t each seasoned salt, garlic powder, parsley, pepper, sage,
shredded cheddar cheese



original recipe with my notes

In large skillet, cook chicken in a little olive oil with seasoned salt and pepper until done, chop and set aside.  In same skillet with a little olive oil and butter cook vegetables, except green peas, until tender.
Add peas, chopped chicken, soup and seasonings and stir until blended. Top with biscuits, can cut up or leave whole, can also top with shredded cheese.  Bake at 375 for 20 to 25 minutes, or until biscuits are browned.
Enjoy,
Bamah

bowl of yummy goodness

No comments:

Post a Comment