Friday, August 31, 2018

Spaghetti Squash Fritters by Aubree Beckman

I have a treat this month. My youngest daughter, Aubree, has once again done a guest blog for me and shared her recipe for Spaghetti Squash Fritters. She's a wonderful cook and I'm a very proud mom.
Enjoy,
Bamah




Hello Again! It's Aubree once again guest blogging. For those of you who don't know, I follow a grain free diet for health reasons (mostly because I am intolerant to ALL grains), and this makes finding good recipes and things to cook... interesting. The following recipe is from a Facebook post my wonderful mother found and shared with me, and I've adapted it over the years. I have added the original recipe at the bottom if you wish to makes these non-grain free. I have also made these paleo with coconut milk cheese, and they were still tasty. Now, without further ado, here is my recipe for Spaghetti Squash Fritters.

Spaghetti Squash Fritters

First, you need to cook a spaghetti squash. The original recipe states you need 3 cups of cooked spaghetti squash, but I don't really measure it and basically mess with the mixture until I like it.
To cook a spaghetti squash: Cut it in half, spoon out the middle (and keep the seeds to roast later :) ), sprinkle the halves with some avocado oil (or olive oil). Place the 2 halves cut side down on a baking tray (you can line it with parchment paper, foil, or a silicone baking sheet to decrease chance of burning the squash).
Cook the Squash at 400 degrees for 45-60 min, until the outside is slightly brown and soft.
Take it out of the oven and let it cool before scraping out the insides with a fork or spoon. I sometimes do this the day before and put it in the fridge overnight. The original recipe says to wring out the squash, but I don't like to do that part, so I've adapted to allow for a little more liquid.

Once you are ready to assemble your fritters, you'll put all of these ingredients together in a bowel.
Ingredients:
 - 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup of almond flour
-1/3 cup of coconut flour
- 1 cup chopped fresh spinach or kale
- 1 tablespoon of Arrowroot starch
- insides of a cook spaghetti squash
-1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated (you can use other hard cheeses, but don't use a soft cheese like cheddar, it makes a mess)
- 1/2 lb of cooked bacon, chopped
-seasonings to taste - I use salt, pepper, onion, garlic, parsley
- avocado oil and coconut oil for frying the fritters at about a 50/50 ratio.

In a bowel, mix all ingredients together until you can form a good patty shape. I mix with my hands for a better consistency and to make sure I can feel the right texture. At this point, if I need to I add a pinch of coconut flour if it's still too runny.

In a skillet, heat oils to hot, but not burning (about medium- medium high heat depending on your stove), and drop patties in. I cook them about 2-3minutes a side flipping them once.

And that's it, they are ready to eat!
In the original recipe, they top them with Greek yogurt, but I've never needed something on top.

On a side note, I fry them in a combo of avocado and coconut oil, but I have also cooked them in butter/ghee or olive oil. I prefer a mix of the 2 above, but feel free to experiment.
- I also like to throw some diced onions and sweet/mild peppers in the mix, and like my mother, I like to add random veggies.

I have also cooked these in the oven at 350 degrees for about 20 min, and although they are still good, they are not as crispy.


Hope you enjoy!!!
Aubree

No comments:

Post a Comment