Wednesday, October 24, 2018

A treasure of old letters Part 2

This project has been very enlightening and inspiring to me as I've discovered even more about my amazing Grandma.  I can't imagine having anywhere from 20 to 40 people over every Sunday for lunch and all afternoon for several years but she did and influenced so many people. She developed several very close relationships with some of the "boys" that lasted for years.  They would send Christmas cards, visit and call.  I met several of them when I was young. In fact, my father was also one of the "boys" and that was how my parents met. He was an MP in the Air Force, stationed at Ardmore, heard about the great lunches, met and dated my mom then they were married when she graduated high school. Carroll was another of the boys that married a local girl, Patty, and they later settled in Ardmore. We visited back and forth with them my whole life.  My brother and I even stayed with them for a week when we were young when Mom and Grandma went out of town.  When Grandma passed away in 2003 they came to her funeral and opened their home to us after the graveside service feeding her family and sharing memories. Sharing a meal came full circle.
Grandma's house in Ardmore was 6 blocks from the church so the boys could either drive, several had cars, or walk. I think some of the women of the church helped provide part of the food. Grandma's specialty was fried chicken. Aunt Dorothy was the baker, she made cakes and pies for dessert plus homemade rolls.  My mom said that there were 2 small bedrooms upstairs, one for her, the other shared by Grandma and Aunt Dorothy. When the weather was nice, they set up a volley ball net in the yard and everyone played after lunch. Home away from home for service men.
Here's some more excerpts from letters:
From Ralph, service member shipped out to Korea, Sept 1954
"There was not a day that passed that I didn't think of you all. I saw Paul on the ship and we were talking about you all. Suppose you all are still having some of those wonderful fellowships. I don't think I have been to one as good as some of those since I left there. They were sure wonderful. Tell everyone I need their prayers and I will be doing the same for them."
Mrs. C, mother, from Ottumwa, Iowa, Aug 1954
"I received your letter on Wed and must say it gave us real pleasure to hear from you. It was very thoughtful of you to take time out to write us. I feel I owe you a debt of gratitude for what you have done for my son and the other boys who invade your home. He looks forward to Sundays and the fine friends he has made in Okla. He can't say enough good things about you all in Ardmore. It would be a great pleasure to have a personal visit with you some time so I will extend you an invitation, if you are ever in our town won't you make us a visit? Thank you again for being so hospitable to Howard."
Mrs. S, mother, from Rochester, Michigan, June 1954
"I just received your sweet, joyful, wonderful, thrilling letter and news of my only precious son, Elbert, of whom I've been praying, worrying, and crying for. It really brought tears of joy and so proud of the marvelous news also that he's been lead to you, dear, whom he told me how love, kind and sweet you are. Thank you so much."
Mrs.   R., mother from Quinton, Alabama, May 1954
"I was so proud to get a sweet letter from you. Bobby told me how good you were to him. You know I can't express words of thanks because you are so good to my only son."
Mrs.  R., aunt, from Windham, Ohio. May 1954
"I received you nice letter a few days ago, was very glad to hear from you and to know that Fred has such nice friends to spend his spare time with. I am proud that Fred mentioned my name as I have tried to do all I could for him and his brothers and sisters when their parents died. I worry about them, as if they were my own. It certainly would be wonderful if there were more people like you, that would try and look after the boys that are in service and so far away from home. I know there would be less trouble in the world. I want to thank you for the nice letter and also for welcoming Fred in your home."
Mrs. S, mother, from Sylvania, Ohio, May 1954
"My son Bobby has written so much about you and how good you are to him that I wanted to write and thank you for being so kind to him. It sure makes me feel better when he is so far from home to have someone so kind to him. I want you to know I certainly appreciate all you have done for Bobby."

There are still more excerpts so I'll do another post, part 3, next month and also share one of Grandma's recipes. It's amazing how letters and home cooked meals can impact so many lives. May we all be inspired to do likewise.
Enjoy,
Bamah
















No comments:

Post a Comment