Wednesday, October 24, 2018

Autumn Beet Soup

I love beets and I'm always looking for new ways to cook them. Unlike the other vegetables I cook with, beets can't be hidden in recipes with their bright red color and my family don't really like them.  I found a new recipe for beet soup that I tried but I changed it up adding potatoes to cut the really strong beet flavor.  I also added milk and cheese to make a creamier soup.  It turned out really good. I used striped beets so they didn't have the dark red color . My daughter, Tabitha, was visiting, I got her to try it and she liked it so much she took the rest back with her.  I made another batch using red beets and added a sweet potato as well as new potatoes and it was even better. The sweet potato really mellowed out the beets. The 2nd batch was a bright red color and very tasty. The soup is pureed and so creamy with the milk and cheese. I added goat cheese and shredded cheddar cheese. I also used the beet greens, making pesto with them and herbs plus putting in my stock scrap freezer bag for future stock. I take my lunch everyday to work so beet soup is now on my fall favorite list.
Here's the recipe:
Made with striped beets
Autumn Beet Soup
1 onion, chopped
1/2 c chopped sweet peppers
1 lb. beets, (5 or 6) chopped
1 medium sweet potato, chopped
6 to 8 new potatoes, chopped
1/4 t. ground ginger
1 t. each seasoned salt and pepper
1 bay leaf
4 c. water
Cook vegetables in water with bay leaf, ginger, seasoned salt and pepper for 30 minutes or until tender. Blend in blender or with emulsion blender until smooth.
Add 1 t. each parsley and thyme
1/2 c. milk
1 to 2 c. shredded cheddar cheese, can also add goat cheese
Heat through until cheese is melted and soup is nice and creamy.


Enjoy,
Bamah



No comments:

Post a Comment