Tuesday, February 26, 2019

Refuge therapy

I love going out to the Wichita Mountain Wildlife Refuge. It's close to where I live, an easy 20 minute drive and so beautiful.  Scenic landscapes, lakes, wildlife, hiking trails and peaceful spots to just sit and be still. There's a worship song we sing at church called, Come and Find the Quiet Center by Shirley Erene Murray.  I love the words so much that I copied them down in a small notebook I keep in my purse to reflect upon when I need a little peace in my life. 
Here's the words:


"Come and find the quiet center in the crowded life we lead, find the room for hope to enter, find the frame where we are freed. Clear the chaos and the clutter, clear our eyes that we can see, all the things that really matter, be at peace and simply be."

Find a place and be at peace, the wildlife refuge is my place to find peace, it's so therapeutic.
This past Sunday was a beautiful day so my dog, Clapton, and I spent several hours enjoying the refuge.  Clapton loves the refuge as much as I do.  He gets so excited when he sees where we're going and is bursting with exuberance to get out of the car and start exploring.  I've found several secluded spots where we can walk and he doesn't have to be on the leash which are his favorites since I can be too slow for him. We went to 3 different areas, hiked a couple of trails and just sat and enjoyed the surroundings. I stopped at one picnic area and found a secluded table where I could sit for awhile and he could explore around me without being on the leash. He indulged me for awhile but then got bored and we had to move on, he likes to keep moving and thinks that I should keep moving as well. We saw buffalo, several herds of longhorns and at one of the lakes I saw a great blue heron just standing quietly by the shore, it was so peaceful to just sit and watch it. We had a wonderful day, got some exercise, enjoyed nature and went home very happy.  "Be at peace and simply be."
Enjoy,
Bamah










No comments:

Post a Comment