Tuesday, February 12, 2019

Grandmas Snickerdoodle cookies

I love cookies and snickerdoodles are one of my favorites and I'm pretty sure they were my grandma's favorites as well. This past December, I found her well used recipe and made a double batch for us and to share at work. They were so good.  Growing up, Grandma always made our favorite cookies and even when we were grown and married she'd make them for holidays.  Later she made them for the children in her church for years, well into her 70's. Her church had a bus ministry and a big children's church program and she'd make several dozen homemade cookies every week for them.  Every Saturday she would be in her kitchen making cookies.  I asked her one time why she continued to bake so much every week instead of just buying cookies to donate. She felt that the kids coming to church off the bus deserved homemade cookies and that was her way of showing God's love. That was how my grandma was. She always had a mission, actually she always had several missions going.  She felt that everyone should have a mission for the Lord and if they didn't she would help them plug into one of hers or something else that used their gifts. I have followed her example and have several missions that I work on, mostly donating my handmade crocheted and knitted items to various places. I think of her a lot and all that she taught me. I especially felt her presence as I made, shared and ate these snickerdoodle cookies.
Here's the recipe:
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup shortening
2 eggs
2 3/4 cups all purpose flour
2 t. cream of tarter
1 t. baking soda
1/4 t. salt

1/4 cup sugar with 1 T. cinnamon (cinnamon sugar)

In large bowl, beat sugar, butter, shortening and eggs with electric mixer until blended. Stir in flour, cream of tarter, baking soda and salt.  Chill dough for 30 minutes. Shape dough into 1 1/4 inch balls and roll in cinnamon sugar.  Place on ungreased cookie sheet, 2 inches apart. Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until set.  Immediately remove from cookie sheet and cool on wire rack.


Enjoy,
Bamah












No comments:

Post a Comment