Saturday, April 13, 2019

Lawton Farmers Market Spring opening

I love, love, love farmer's markets and the Lawton Farmers Market has a special place in my heart. This year's opening weekend was Saturday, April 6th.  I was very happy that it was my Saturday off and even though it rained, John, Clapton, and I  braved the weather and visited with friends, purchased local products plus got breakfast from Anna's Breakfast Bus, the food truck vendor for this year.  They have yummy breakfast burritos. I've made so many friends at the farmers market, discovered wonderful local products like soap from Turkey Creek Lavender, and lotion from, Taliaferro SoapWorks,  that I now use exclusively. I've bought wonderful fresh veggies from local venders plus local plants from, Coles Greenhouse,  that thrive in our climate.  My love, passion, obsession or whatever it's called has gotten contagious and now my husband, John, and dog, Clapton, love to go to the farmers market as well. They even go by themselves on the Saturdays that I'm working.  It's one of Clapton's favorite place and he always knows when it's Saturday and farmers market day.  He loves people and goes to greet most of the local venders for pets, especially the ladies from Legako Farms because they make homemade dog treats which are his favorites and they always give him samples.  He loves children and is a kid magnet. He's the unofficial farmers market dog and he loves it.  John has made friends as well and visits with venders whether I'm with him or not.  There's so many vendors and more will come as the season progresses.  There's several vendors with baked goods, Rannila Kitchen and Bakery, yummy cookies and cinnamon rolls, Ally's German Bakery, Hunt's cookies, decadent iced cookies. and Broken R Ranch have yummy parker house rolls plus eggs and beef.  Entwined Vines also has baked goods as well as wine, salsa and all kinds of jams and jellies. There are several vendors that sell locally raised meat, Red Truck Farm sells beef and eggs, Seven Farms sells pork and sometimes eggs and Limerick Farms sells lamb.  We love the lamb meat and I cook with it more than beef since John has liver issues.  It's still early for vegetables but Mary from Molsbee Farms has veggies from the Dallas Farmers Market, plus what she grows on her farm, Jason has greens and herbs and a new vendor this year, Ethan, has microgreens.  I bought some microgreens and ate them in my scrambled eggs and salad, very yummy. Another new vendor this year, Flower Market Farms from Wichita Falls brought beautiful cut flowers.  I bought a couple of bunches and made arrangements for my home.  I love having fresh flowers in my house, especially my bedroom.  I also bought plants from Cole's Greenhouse.  I try to buy mostly local plants for my garden/yard since they seem to do better in our Oklahoma weather plus I just like supporting local whenever possible.  The Lawton Farmers Market is open every Saturday from 8 to 12 and located in the parking lot of the Great Plains Coliseum at 920 SW Sheridan Rd. There are more vendors at the farmers market, I've just highlighted some of them and there will be more including craft vendors as the season progresses, especially during peak season in the summer.  Come and check it out and you might see John, Clapton and I there.
Enjoy,
Bamah








































No comments:

Post a Comment