Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Cauliflower "Rice"

ready for the freezer
I'm tagging this post as Farmers market addiction as well as recipes since I discovered cauliflower "rice" by following Murphy Farms on Facebook.  I also follow the Lawton Farmer's market and several of the farmer's home pages on Facebook.  Stalking farmers, yep, that's me.  Last month I saw another customer post pictures of her baggies of "rice" ready for her freezer so immediately looked up how to do that online. I'm always looking for more ways to use fresh vegetables in my cooking. I have a freezer full of baggies of fresh vegetables cut up and ready to be added in to whatever I'm cooking plus have been able to continue throughout the winter to get fresh local produce from Murphy Farms.  They have an organic farm in Walters with several greenhouses so are able to grow year around and bring in produce each week to Cameron University for people to purchase.  I pretty much have gone every Saturday so have kept my freezer stocked plus cooked for the week with what's in season.  I like chopping in small batches, I feel I have a better control over consistency. My absolute favorite tool is my Tupperware Chop and Prep Chef, I call it my lawnmower since it has a pull handle and is perfect for me. I have several baggies of roughly chopped cauliflower in my freezer that I've been throwing in whatever I'm cooking for the week along with everything else.  On average, all my recipes have 5 to 10 fresh veggies added in some type of chopped form. I was making yellow rice that weekend so thought I'd try reducing the rice and adding in the cauliflower "rice" and it turned out great.  I'm always looking for ways to reduce carbs so the last time I had made my yellow rice I added quinoa and it was good but not the same consistency I wanted and the cauliflower "rice" turned out perfect. I made a large pot of yellow rice (my recipe is on a previous post) and only added 2 cups of instant rice and added about 1 1/2 cups of cooked cauliflower "rice", about 10 vegetables, smoked sausage and cheese. My husband noticed I was finely chopping cauliflower and had it in a container sitting on the counter and looked like rice so he figured it was going in the yellow rice but he said he couldn't really taste it.  He doesn't really like cauliflower and won't eat it by itself but when I mix it in like this he was fine with it.  This last weekend I bought more cauliflower so used some for roasted vegetables and added some  chopped to pasta salad and the rest I finely chopped for the freezer (raw) for future rice dishes. To cook the "rice", saute in 1 T of oil, I used olive oil, seasoned salt and pepper, covered 5 to 10 minutes, stir so it doesn't stick then add to whatever dish desired.  I haven't used it by itself yet but will probably just keep doing half rice and half  cauliflower "rice".  I hope this inspires you to try it.
Enjoy
Bamah



chopping process

  

My lovely Tupperware chopper

finely chopped "rice"

No comments:

Post a Comment