Thursday, March 17, 2016

Papa's Egg Casserole and my version

large egg casserole


Easter is next week so I'm posting my egg casserole recipe.  I made this last month and will most likely make it for Easter.  This is one of our family favorites.  It started when my girls were little and their grandfather, Papa, made it with a can of green chilies and canned milk added to eggs and cheese.  I have revised the recipe several times and now make it with lots of fresh vegetables and regular milk added to the eggs and cheese and don't use the canned chilies at all but use fresh sweet peppers instead.  I'm including both versions in this post and both are very tasty. I usually make it in a large rectangle Pyrex dish but this last time I made 2 smaller casserole dishes and that seemed to work better for us.  I also added cooked bacon which was a great addition.  As with the majority of my recipes, it's very versatile and can add whatever you have on hand and then change it up the next time you make it.  I almost always include zucchini, broccoli and spinach but have added other vegetables as well depending what's in season or that I have on hand in my freezer.  I've also changed up the cheese as well adding gouda, white cheddar or again whatever I have on hand. Here's the recipes:




Papa's Egg Casserole

1 lb grated cheddar cheese
1 lb grated Monterey Jack cheese, or bag of shredded blend
8 to 10 eggs
5 oz evaporated milk or can use regular milk
bottom veggie layer
4 oz can chopped green chilies


 Bamah's variations
2 T sofrito, 1/2 to 1 t seasoned salt, pepper, turmeric and parsley
10 eggs
1/2 c milk
1 lb grated cheddar cheese and 1 bag shredded blend cheese
1/2 cup each of fresh chopped veggies, onion, garlic, sweet peppers, yellow squash, zucchini and broccoli.  Sauté in skillet or microwave
until tender, 5 to 10 minutes. 
Also fresh tomatoes,  spinach or kale. Cooked chopped bacon can also be added


Beat eggs, add milk and seasonings in bowl. Assemble in large casserole dish, (or 2 smaller casserole dishes) starting with cooked veggies, add egg mixture, chopped tomatoes, spinach or kale and cheese, stirring a bit.  Bake at 300 for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until set and eggs cooked through.
Enjoy, Bamah







topped with cheese
smaller egg casserole with bacon

No comments:

Post a Comment