Wednesday, December 12, 2018

Homemade Double Cranberry Sauce

I love cranberries.  I love them dried or fresh especially in baked goods, fresh cranberry relish (recipe on post Crazy for Cranberries Dec 2012) and cranberry sauce. I was a big fan of canned cranberry sauce for years until I had homemade which is so much better. I found this recipe a couple of years ago, added a chopped apple and persimmons and made it this year.  My family loved it, even my husband.  I made it in addition to the fresh cranberry relish and we've decided that we need both relish and sauce every year now. It was great in combination with the relish over our Thanksgiving patties (on previous post) on the days after the big meal. It's also great on toast.Here's the recipe:


















Double Cranberry Sauce
1 bag of fresh cranberries
1 cup dried cranberries
1 cup juice (any kind) or water
1 apple, finely chopped
1/3 cup honey or molasses
2 to 3 T sugar
1 T orange zest, (can use juice of orange as well with 1 cup of juice)
1/4 t each of cinnamon and allspice
optional 1 to 2 chopped persimmons


In medium saucepan, combine all ingredients and simmer about 20 minutes until cranberries pop and mixture begins to thicken. Sweeten to taste.  Serve warm or at room temperature.


Enjoy,
Bamah

 

No comments:

Post a Comment